TSA agents nationwide found 2,653 firearms in carry-on bags at airports across the country in 2015, the agency said.
That is an average of more than seven firearms every day. It is also a 19.9 percent increase from the 2,212 firearms agents discovered in 2014.
Most — 2,198 or 83 percent — were loaded. Meanwhile, agents screened more than 708.3 million passengers (more than 1.9 million per day), and increase of more than 40.7 million passengers more than in 2014.
According to the TSA, these are the airports where agents found the most guns:
- Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW): 153
- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL): 144
- George Bush Intercontinental Airport – Houston (IAH): 100
- Denver International Airport (DEN): 90
- Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX): 73
- Nashville International Airport (BNA): 59
- Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA): 59
- Dallas Love Field Airport (DAL): 57
- Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS): 54
- William P. Hobby Airport (HOU): 52