News reports claiming the iconic Atlantic City Boardwalk was damaged or washed away during Hurricane Sandy are incorrect and erroneous as the boardwalk remains intact and has been fully open to visitors since Nov. 2, the Atlantic City Alliance said.
“Reports indicating large-scale damage to the boardwalk are false,” the Atlantic City Alliance said in a news release. “The iconic Atlantic City boardwalk is intact except for a one to two block extension in the eastern inlet area, which does not front any of the casinos and was previously closed to pedestrian traffic. This small section is located in a residential section of Atlantic City, not along the promenade that visitors associate with the resort community.
“The Atlantic City tourism district and boardwalk did not experience major damage as a result of the storm,” the group said. “There have been visitors to our casinos and to the boardwalk, and we want our visitors to be aware that we remain a place to visit.”