SmarterTravel has released its list of “Top Five Bargain Destinations for Summer 2009.” The list includes the top vacation destinations that won’t leave you penniless.
“While summer is often a peak time to travel, destinations can’t rely on the usual droves of visitors given the nature of the economy right now,” Anne Banas, executive editor of SmarterTravel, said in a news release. “When it comes to travel, consumers really have the upper hand — it’s the perfect time to take advantage of deals that might not happen again for a long time.”
The list (and SmarterTravel’s rationale) includes:
- Los Angeles: New air service from Virgin America, Delta and Allegiant airlines, is helping lower airfare costs.
- Dominican Republic: JetBlue and Spirit airlines both provide low-cost options, and a four-night, air-and-hotel package starts at $560 per person.
- National Parks: Rooms near Yellowstone, for example, start at $59 per night.
- Australia: V Australia, for example, is offering airfare starting at $620 for a round-trip, and air-and-hotel packages start at $999.
- Asheville, N.C.: Starting June 11, AirTran is offering fares from $69 for a one-way trip.